Barry McTiernan & Moore LLC is full-service defense litigation firm. Since 1930, BMM has represented Fortune 500 companies and their insureds in complex, high-exposure cases. The firm handles general liability claims across various practice areas including construction defect, employer liability, medical malpractice, premises liability, and products liability. Over the last few decades, BMM has emerged as a leader in toxic tort and environmental litigation. We specialize in the defense of asbestos, talcum powder, benzene, silica, lead poisoning and chemical exposures.
Our team delivers nuanced perspectives to elevate strategy and surface highly effective solutions. We are committed to efficiently and effectively advancing the interests of our clients and arriving at the best results.
BMM is dedicated to building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive. We offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities while focusing on professional and personal development. We provide unique training, benefits, and resources to ensure our team members are equipped with the tools to succeed.
New York, NY
Barry McTiernan & Moore’s Manhattan office is currently seeking an Accountant to join our
The Accountant will work closely with the Controller and Billing department to ensure all
expenses are processed accurately and timely as well as provide A/R analysis as needed.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a law environment or professional billable services
environment. Candidates must possess an accounting degree as well as strong excel, attention
to detail, organization, and analytical skills. We value collaboration and diversity among our
team members and seek to make working for our firm a rewarding experience.
• Extensive vendor management including adding new vendors into Juris
system, managing the AP inbox, resolving invoice discrepancies and accurate
and timely completion of vendor payments.
• Match, batch, and code accounts payable invoices into appropriate accounts.
• Process all expense reimbursement and disbursement in a timely manner
adhering to Firm policy and client guidelines.
• Provide collection support to all assigned Billing Partners including but not
limited to contacting clients, establishing peer relationships, and
troubleshooting billing issues complete through resolution.
• Create and review aging reports.
• Provide aging report analysis to partners to discuss strategies to resolve
discrepancies, deductions, or clients in arrears
• Follow up as needed with Partners and/or client to resolve and/or collect
• Review invoice status thru various E-Billing sites to determine payment made.
• Provide accounting support to Controller and external accounting firm.
• Enter journal entries accurately to ensure accounts are up to date at all times
• Process g/l side of payroll entries
• Participate in monthly closing and provide monthly reports to firm owners.
Experience and Qualifications
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• 2-4 years as an Accountant preferably in a law firm.
• Ability to communicate professionally and interact effectively with all levels of
personnel, including management, attorneys, and support staff
• Demonstrate strong organizational skills, time management and adherence to strict
• Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and driven with a commitment to excellence
• Proficient in Juris and Microsoft Excel
• Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
• Health, dental and vision insurance
• Life insurance
• Employee assistance program
• Generous time off plan
Barry McTiernan & Moore is a firm which focuses their commitment to both our clients and
employees! Please consider joining our team by sending your resume and cover letter including
We are committed to cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity as a
fundamental value. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by law.
Spring 2021 Law Clerk
New York, NY
Barry McTiernan & Moore’s Manhattan office is currently seeking a Spring 2021 Law Clerk in our Toxic Tort Department.
Barry McTiernan & Moore’s Law Clerk program is designed to provide the clerk with hands-on training in a real-work environment of a regional firm. We equip our clerks with career skills to enable them to more effectively understand insurance defense litigation. We value collaboration and diversity among our staff and seek to make the practice of law a rewarding experience.
- Support Attorney in toxic tort/asbestos litigation
- Collaborate with attorneys on complicated legal issues
- Conduct complex legal research and discovery investigation
- Draft memos and review legal documents
- Prepare for and attend client meetings, depositions, and court appearances
- Must be enrolled in an ABA accredited law school
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment
- Prior law firm/judicial internship or related internship experience is a plus
- Please note this position is for an hourly wage only, 2-4 days per week (maximum of 20 hours)
How to Apply
Barry McTiernan & Moore is a firm which focuses their commitment to both our clients and employees! Please consider joining our team by sending a pdf-formatted resume and cover letter including salary expectation to email@example.com
We are committed to cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity as a fundamental value. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Barry McTiernan & Moore is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a congenial work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. The firm does not discriminate as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation or affectional preference. The firm has never been declared in default or been penalized for failure to comply with any civil rights law.
It is our policy to train and promote from within the office and thus, as to those employees who have proven themselves on the job and/or who have sought additional education, they have been accorded significant positions of responsibility. At present, our bookkeeper, billing personnel and three paralegals began with entry-level positions. When hiring we actively seek and employ qualified minority applicants.